Saturday, April 26, 2008

Mmmm, beer

1. John Smith’s Extra Smooth. - It’s an English style pale ale. It’s a darker beer similar to Newcastle Brown Ale and as the name states it truly is extra smooth. I like this beer so much that I have tried to have it shipped here. There must be some law prohibiting it because you can’t get it to The US. They’ll ship it to Canada, but not to me! I discovered this delicious morsel when I co-led a group of students on a trip to London.

2. Geelong Brewery Sparkling Ale - Australians take their beer very seriously. Most of them are offended if you drink anything but a local brew regularly. I would not have survived my months there if it weren’t for the local brewery and this sparkling ale. At 5.8% abv, it is one of the most potent local beers in Geelong and it actually tastes good; which is more than I can say for most of the other beverages produced there.


3. Franziskaner Dunkel - A dark hefeweissen beer. It’s like the best of both worlds. Light and crisp as any hefeweissen should be with the full-bodied flavor of a dark beer. I introduced this beer to Tommy and Brad last year and they both enjoyed it nearly as much as I do. As an added bonus, the monk on the label is so happy that my spirits lift every time I see his jolly face.


4. Ale Asylum Hopalicious - I love hops and this beer is filled with them. Somehow it isn’t bitter at all. It’s exactly what I want in a beer. They also named it Hopalicious.

5. Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - I wanted a light and fruity beer. I admit there are better beers than Sunset Wheat for this purpose but it reminds me so much of Fruity Pebbles that I wouldn’t feel bad about having one (or 12) for breakfast.

No comments: